Monday, December 17, 2012

"...even as we hope in YOU." Psalm 33:22


So we left Ethiopia hopeful that all would work out.  We waited and waited and waited for what seemed like eternity for good news.  November 7th, two weeks and one day after our court, I was driving down to church (it was a Wednesday night) and Payton had fallen asleep.  I was praying and pretty much pleading with the Lord to move everything along.  I wept as I cried out to him, and begged for Him to have mercy on our family once again.  I remember very clearly telling my Jesus that I trusted Him even in the pain of waiting, and that I would worship Him regardless of what happened.

I headed up to the third floor and began setting up my classroom and preparing for my kiddos that I have the privilege of sharing the Word with each Wednesday night.  I turned around and saw Billy walking toward me with a ginormous smile across his face.  His next two words were some of the sweetest I’ve ever heard-

“SHE’S OURS!” 

The letter from MOWA arrived at the court that day and the adoption was finalized in Ethiopia. 

What an amazing feeling!  I was once again floored by the Lord’s goodness and mercy.  I ran over to House of Prayer in the sanctuary to tell my sister and my dad.  I think the Lord chose to allow us to hear this good news at church so that we could rejoice with our family and the body of Christ at Walnut Street.  He wanted His name to be glorified by all who would hear how He had acted on behalf of a precious little girl in Ethiopia.

We have been waiting since then for all of our paperwork to be ready to submit to the U.S. Embassy in Ethiopia so that they can finalize the adoption on the U.S. side of things.  On December 5th, we got news from our agency that all we were waiting on was a letter about Addie’s medical exam, and that when that arrived, we would be ready to submit our case to the embassy.  The agency sent the paperwork for us to review, and in it was her birth certificate.  I cannot describe the joy I experienced when I saw “Jodi Baker” listed as her mother.  Then I saw her passport- with a tiny picture of one of my favorite faces ever.  I could not wait to hand that passport to the people at the airport in Addis and board a plane and bring her home.

Later that day we realized that our homestudy and USCIS were set to expire January 8th, which meant we had to update both of those.  I was so completely frustrated.  The thought that this could slow everything down made my stomach turn.  We began gathering the necessary paperwork, and my sweet husband drove all the way to Frankfort to get some of the documents we needed.  Within a week we had all we needed and had a new homestudy interview.  A day or two after the interview, we sent it all off to USCIS (immigration).  Now we’re waiting to hear from them, and praying we either bring her home before January 8th or that we are reapproved before it’s time to bring her home.

This past week held more ups and downs. On December 11th, we received news that could jeopardize the adoption.  We were heartbroken and completely beside ourselves.  In the midst of the turmoil, I wrote on Facebook, “We are trusting our Father to use everything for our good, and are praying for his perfect will to be done.”  I wrote it, and I meant it. 

My sister texted me Psalm 46:10- a verse I had already been repeating to myself.  I only knew the first part of it though- “Be still and know that I am God.”  I looked it up and was so encouraged by the rest- “I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”  My prayer was that one way or another, He would be praised.

December 12th, I woke up and went straight to the Word, like I do each morning, but this morning I veered from the book I am currently studying, and read the Psalms.  I clung to Psalm 33:20-22-

“Our souls wait for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.  Four our heart is glad in Him, because we trust in His holy name.  Let your steadfast love, Oh Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.”

Another day went by, and we received no news.  Then came the 13th.  It was seeming like things were looking up, and as more of the story made it’s way to the states, we were more hopeful.  We also got some fantastic news that day- our medical letter has arrived and we will be submitted to the embassy this Wednesday, December 19th.  We were thrilled with this new progress, and began eagerly awaiting Wednesday.

This brings us to today, Monday, December 17, 2012.  I was standing in ToysRUs, doing some last little Christmas shopping, when my phone rang.  It was Billy.   His voice immediately told me he did not have good news.  It seems as though we are experiencing more drama in Ethiopia, and things are not going as smoothly as we hoped.  Without divulging more information than necessary, just know that her case actually went before a judge again today.   Once again, Addie’s adoption is in jeopardy.  We do not know all the details of what happened today, because Woudneh’s (our agency’s Ethiopian director) phone stopped working in mid-conversation with our agency.  Apparently the network there is down, and no one can reach him to get more details.  It is 12:50 a.m. there as I write (they are eight hours ahead), so we do not expect to hear anything else for a while.  Someone from our agency is going to try to call Woudneh at midnight, our time, to get more information.

We are desperate to know what the judge decided today.  I really can’t express to you the anguish in our hearts.  Right now she is legally ours, and regardless of what happens, she will always be ours in our hearts.  I love her more than I can possibly tell you, and the thought of losing her makes me physically ill.  My heart breaks at the idea of how on earth Billy and I could possibly tell Payton that Addie is not coming home.  And yet…

He is good.
He is loving.
He is kind.
He is merciful.
He is strong and mighty.
He is gracious.
He is just.
He is our sustainer.
He is our provider.
He is our victory.
He is our savior.
He is always with us.
He is all powerful.

He is the GREAT I AM, both here, and in Ethiopia.  The hope that we have because of Christ remains, regardless of the pain we experience.  We pray that you know this hope, this kind Savior.  And if you do, we ask that you go to Him on behalf of Addie.  Plead with the Lord to protect her and keep His hand upon her.  Ask Him to continue to impart his perfect peace to our weary souls and to guide and direct all that happens. 

And may His great name be glorified and praised in all the earth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment