Thursday, December 6, 2012

A few more turns in the roller coaster...


Hello Again!

Before I pick up where I left off last time, I need to back up a bit.  In the weeks before we left for Ethiopia I needed to start studying a new book of the Bible, and I chose James.  I usually choose rather randomly, but this time I had reason behind my choice.- Beth Moore has a study of James titled, Mercy Triumphs.  Addie’s Ethiopian name (now her middle name) is Mihret, meaning mercy.  The Lord really led me to this book, and the Holy Spirit specifically impressed upon me that I needed to memorize James 1 : 2-

 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.” 

Little did I know, He was preparing me for what would be the greatest trial I had faced to this point in my life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We woke up Monday morning, and went and got Addie from her room.  It was an absolutely beautiful day- there was not a cloud in the sky and it was in the low 70’s.  We took Addie outside and sat on the porch in front of her dorm with some of the other adoptive families and some of the children from the transition home.  I will never forget the faces of the children as they played with the play-doh and the bubbles we had brought.  It was evident that a couple of the young children had never seen bubbles, and watching them discover this new floating ball that they could pop was just so much fun.

I sat and sang every hymn and praise song I could possibly think of to Addie.  I had dreamt for months of singing to her, and here I sat reveling in the moment, eagerly awaiting the afternoon, when I expected to hear the coveted words from the judge- “She’s all yours.”





That afternoon we loaded up the van and headed into the heart of Addis to go to court.  We entered the building and sat in a large room filled with people from Ethiopia and all corners of the world.  These people were living the extremes of emotion- some were relinquishing their rights as parents or grandparents and some were becoming new parents through the miracle of adoption.  I sat with Billy and our new friends (those who were at the guest house with us), and we nervously chatted and laughed together as we waited.

Woudneh (our guide/liaison) came in the room and asked Billy to step into the hall with him.  My heart started beating a million times a minute, and I sat anxiously waiting, for what seemed like ages, for him to come back in.  Nothing could have possibly prepared me for the news that followed.

When we received the referral for Addie, the only information we really had on her was that she had been abandoned.  Billy walked in, sat in front of me, and announced as gently as he could that Addie’s birthmom had been identified.  My jaw fell to the floor, and I sat completely stunned.

I had no idea what the implications of this might be, but knew that this could possibly change everything.  She had been identified, but after trying seventy times to call the number he had for her, Woudneh still could not reach her. 

We were called in before the judge, asked several uniform questions, and told that Addie’s case was pending, and not closed.  The words we had hoped for were not going to be voiced that day…

As the afternoon unfolded we were informed that Addie’s birthmom had to be found for a couple of reasons.  First of all, she had to be deemed unable to care for her child.  Secondly, she had to relinquish her parental rights and consent to the adoption.  I was terrified of losing our girl.  She had our hearts completely already.  If a woman is capable and willing to be a loving mother who can provide for her  biological child, it is always best for her to keep her baby.  I knew this, and yet it was so very hard for me to reconcile this with the fact that I desperately wanted to call Addie mine- to bring her home to her big sister and have a part of our forever family.  I was just totally overwhelmed with about a zillion emotions.

That evening we headed to a fried chicken restaurant called Dodi.  J  Woudneh informed us when we got there that he had gotten in touch with Addie’s birthmom and that she would be at the restaurant in about thirty minutes.  It was all I could do not to pass out.  Many adoptive families meet their children’s birthmoms, but they are usually given time to emotionally prepare to do so.  I had prayed for this woman daily from the time we had decided to adopt.  I had spent many sleepless nights pleading with the Lord for her safety and for her salvation.  And now I was going to meet her face-to-face in a matter of moments. 

Would Woudneh say she was unable to care for Addie?  Would she want Addie back?  I was bombarded with a million questions in my head.  I remember looking at my dear friend Deidra and telling her my life verse is Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition with thanksgiving…” I was about to fall apart so she finished it for me- “present your requests to God, and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”  What a blessing it was to meet such godly, wonderful friends in Ethiopia.  The body of Christ became more important to me that night than it had ever been before.

I still had a million questions, but the certainty of knowing the kind, loving God in control was more than enough to give peace.  I was praying, praying, praying, and trusting that God was still sovereign and good no matter the outcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment